The US National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) is a nonprofit organization that works to address issues related to problem gambling in the United States. The organization was established in 1972, and it is the national advocate for programs and services to assist problem gamblers and their families.
The mission of the NCPG is to increase public awareness of problem gambling and its impact on individuals, families, and society. The organization works to promote research and prevention, education, treatment, and recovery for problem gamblers and their families. The NCPG also advocates for the expansion of responsible gambling policies and the regulation of the gambling industry to minimize the negative impacts of problem gambling.
Programs and services
The NCPG provides a range of programs and services to assist individuals and families affected by problem gambling. These programs and services include:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline: The NCPG operates a confidential helpline, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide support and resources to people affected by problem gambling. The helpline provides referrals to local resources for problem gambling treatment, self-help groups, and support services.
- State affiliate programs: The NCPG has affiliates in each state, which work to increase awareness of problem gambling and provide local resources for problem gamblers and their families. These affiliates provide outreach and education programs, conduct research, and advocate for responsible gambling policies.
- Training and education: The NCPG provides training and education for mental health professionals, addiction counselors, and others who work with problem gamblers and their families. The organization offers webinars, workshops, and certification programs to help professionals understand the nature of problem gambling, the impact on individuals and families, and effective treatment approaches.
- Advocacy: The NCPG advocates for policies and regulations that promote responsible gambling and minimize the negative impacts of problem gambling. The organization works with lawmakers, regulators, and industry stakeholders to promote best practices for responsible gambling, such as self-exclusion programs, advertising restrictions, and limits on the availability of high-risk gambling products.
- Research: The NCPG conducts and supports research on problem gambling and its impact on individuals, families, and society. The organization collaborates with researchers from universities and other institutions to identify effective prevention and treatment approaches, as well as to inform public policy.
The NCPG provides a range of resources to help individuals and families affected by problem gambling. These resources include:
- Online self-help tools: The NCPG offers a range of self-help tools on its website, including a self-assessment quiz, tips for quitting gambling, and resources for family members of problem gamblers.
- Treatment directory: The NCPG maintains a directory of problem gambling treatment providers across the United States. The directory includes information on treatment modalities, insurance coverage, and other details to help individuals find the right treatment program for their needs.
- Public awareness campaigns: The NCPG conducts public awareness campaigns to increase awareness of problem gambling and reduce stigma associated with seeking help. These campaigns aim to promote responsible gambling practices, encourage individuals to seek help for problem gambling, and provide support and resources for family members.
The US National Council on Problem Gambling is an important organization that provides resources and support for individuals and families affected by problem gambling. The organization plays a critical role in increasing awareness of problem gambling, promoting responsible gambling practices, and advocating for policies and regulations that minimize the negative impacts of problem gambling. Through its programs and services, the NCPG helps to reduce the stigma associated with problem gambling and provide hope and support to those struggling with this addiction.